1878-2018 Smithsonian Morgan 24k Gold Eagle Pattern NGC PF70 UCAM
George T. Morgan designed the most famous silver coin in the world: the Morgan silver dollar. But within the Smithsonian archives is the historic 1878 gold pattern coin struck by the U.S. Mint to demonstrate how the design would look on a new $10 Gold Eagle coin.
In addition to the Smithsonian’s Morgan Gold Eagle Pattern, another privately-owned 1878 $10 Morgan Gold Eagle Pattern (J-1581) sold at auction in 1990 for $475,000.
Now, on the 140th anniversary, the Smithsonian has authorized a limited-edition gold proof which provides a fascinating glimpse into “what could have been” if this masterpiece Morgan design had been selected for a gold coin rather than a silver dollar.
This Smithsonian-authorized Morgan Gold Eagle has been certified by NGC as a flawless PF70 UCAM strike and includes:
- Handsome display case
- Velvet pouch
- Smithsonian Certificate of Authenticity
- Bonus Morgan silver dollar in XF condition for reference/comparison to the Gold Eagle design
Mintage is strictly limited by the Smithsonian! Only 1,878 of these Morgan Gold Eagles will be struck. Secure yours before they're gone!
Shop Premium Grade Gold American Eagles
- SKU#: 13280$1,995.00https://coinadvisor.com/pub/media/catalog/product/1/3/13280-f.png
- SKU#: 13166$1,699.95https://coinadvisor.com/pub/media/catalog/product/1/3/13166-f.png
- SKU#: 13165$1,699.95https://coinadvisor.com/pub/media/catalog/product/1/3/13165-f.png
- SKU#: 13707$799.95https://coinadvisor.com/pub/media/catalog/productno_selection
- SKU#: 13366$749.00https://coinadvisor.com/pub/media/catalog/productno_selection