This proof silver coin was minted to commemorate the establishment of the Smithsonian Institution on August 10, 1846. When this coin was issued, the Smithsonian was home to the National Numismatic Collection which features more than one million items.
The obverse, designed by Thomas D. Rogers, shows the first iteration of the Smithsonian Institution Building. The reverse, designed by John Mercanti, shows a goddess figure holding the torch of knowledge, sitting on a globe.
This coin was minted in Philadelphia and was graded as PF70 Ultra Cameo by NGC.