When the U.S. Mint decided to make the leap into 24 karat gold coins back in 2006, they chose none other than the Buffalo Nickel design of James Earle Fraser struck back in 1913-1938. The design is a favorite among collectors, so it seemed right to re-introduce it on this first-of-a-kind coin. The obverse design was derived from studying 3 prominent Indian Chiefs and the reverse was modeled after Black Diamond, the Buffalo living in Central Park Menagerie (New York Zoo). The Gold Buffalo coins have been struck in Mint State and Proof. In 2008 the Mint produced a four coin fractional set in proof and burnished finishes. 2008 stands as the only year the fractional set was struck.
- SKU#: 132632018 W $50 1oz Proof 24k Gold Buffalo PCGS PR70 DCAM First Strike First Day of Issue Flag Label$2,399.95
- SKU#: 132642018 W $50 1oz Proof 24k Gold Buffalo PCGS PR70 DCAM First Day of Issue Mercanti Signed$2,699.95
- SKU#: 129422017 W $50 1oz Proof 24k Gold Buffalo PCGS PR70 DCAM First Strike$2,299.95
- SKU#: 113192015 W $50 Proof 24k Gold Buffalo NGC PF70 UCAM Early Releases Buffalo Label$2,950.00
- SKU#: 112622015 W $50 Proof 24k Gold Buffalo NGC PF70 UCAM Early Releases$2,899.95